We've all done it - misjudged when a stale green would turn yellow or screeched to sudden stop when a pedestrian darted out in front the car. When traffic converges at busy intersections, all it takes is one driver's bad timing to cause an accident.
That said, some intersections are more prone to accidents than others, thanks to traffic volume, the state of the roads, poor traffic light timing, distracting signage and other factors like local weather conditions (for example, in cities that see a lot of precipitation).
True to form, it's raining cats and dogs in Vancouver right now, so I wasn't surprised to see that the most dangerous intersection in Canada (according to this Yahoo Autos article) is about a 15 minute drive south of my house - and speaking from experience, it is pretty tricky.
Author Michael Small compiled provincial and national accident statistics to come up with a list of Canada's 20 most dangerous intersections. Is there one near you?
- Vancouver: Knight St & Knight Street Bridge and SE Marine Dr & SE Marine Dr Offramp & SE Marine Dr Onramp
- Calgary: Deerfoot and 16th Ave NE
- Winnipeg: Kenaston Blvd and McGillivrary Blvd
- Winnipeg: Leila Avenue and McPhillips Street
- Calgary: Glenmore Trail and Deerfoot Interchange
- Montreal: Highway 40 and Stinson
- Winnipeg: Grant Avenue and Kenaston Blvd
- Montreal: Dickson and Notre Dame
- Montreal: Highway 15 and De Salaberry
- Vancouver: Burrard Street & Burrard Street Bridge and and Pacific Street & Pacific Street Onramp and Offramp
- Vancouver: East 1st Avenue & East 1st Avenue offramp & East 1st Avenue onramp and Rupert Street Offramp and TransCanada Highway
- Toronto: Kennedy Road and Sheppard Avenue East
- Toronto: Kennedy Road and Steeles Avenue East
- Toronto: McCowan Road and Sheppard Avenue East
- Edmonton: Yellowhead Trail and 127th Street
- Edmonton: 107th Avenue and 142nd Street
- Edmonton: 90th Ave NW and 85 Street NW
- Ottawa: Hunt Club Road and Riverside Drive
- Ottawa: Belfast Road and St. Laurent Boulevard
- Ottawa: Baseline Road and Woodroffe Avenue
What's the worst intersection in your town or city? Are there intersections you routinely avoid because they're unsafe? Let us know in the comments.
- Rose R.