One of my favourite things about our road trip from Vancouver to California last fall was passing through the great state of Oregon. We enjoyed the rugged landscape and the friendly people, sure - but I mainly enjoyed that in Oregon, I didn't have to pump my own gas. Because in Oregon, full serve gas stations are THE LAW.
So it was a total delight in Oregon to sit back and let someone else fill the tank for me. Paradise!
When we returned home to Canada, I started to wonder about full serve gas stations. Do we even have those any more? And if we do, where are they, so that I can make sure to frequent them? Frequently?
It turns out that Petro-Canada has over 200 full service gas stations all across the country - and a few of them are near me! More importantly, a few of them may be near you too. Here's how to find out, using our handy gas station locator.
- Go to the Petro-Canada site.
- Locate the "Find a gas station" widget in the bottom left hand corner.
- Click on "Advanced Search".
- Select "Full Serve" and then enter your location.
There are several advantages to full service gas stations:
- You can stay cozy in your car on cold or rainy days
- It's easier for seniors and disabled persons
- You won't accidentally douse your clothes, shoes or hands with gasoline
- No topping-off spills
Many see the act of pumping gas as a necessary skill and a rite of passage. They're not wrong - you won't always be in Oregon, after all, and knowing how to pump your own gas is pretty important. But every now and then, it's nice to leave it to the professionals at the pump.
Do you seek out full serve gas stations in your area? Or are you self-serve all the way?