How is most of Canada’s energy currently produced? What are the relationships between the environment, our economy and energy? What will Canada’s energy future look like? When it comes to energy, there’s always a lot to talk about – and Talk Energy Week is a great time to do it.
Now in its fourth year, Talk Energy Week is an initiative of the Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation’s (CSTMC) Let’s Talk Energy program. The program brings together a national network of partners (including Suncor) and advisors to inform and engage Canadians on energy topics. The goal of Let’s Talk Energy – and Talk Energy Week - is to:
- improve energy literacy amongst Canadians;
- maximize the number of Canadians engaged in a dialogue on Canada's energy future;
- engage Canadians in the important role science and technology plays and has played in shaping Canada’s energy past, present and future.
Here are a few ways you can get involved with Talk Energy Week:
Facebook Live event: On February 21st, at 12:30pm (EST), there will be a Facebook Live panel discussion on energy and climate change in Canada, featuring:
- The Honourable Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Environment and Natural Resources in Canada and Member of Parliament for Ottawa-Centre
- Will Gadd, Canadian Ice Climber, Red Bull athlete, and leader of a recent expedition to the Athabasca glacier
- Andrea Brazeau, Indigenous youth leader born and raised in Kangiqsualujjuaq, Quebec who is now pursuing post-secondary education in Montreal
Get the full event details here.
Plan some family activities: The Let’s Talk Energy site features some great ideas on how to get started talking about energy as a family, from doing experiments, playing a game from the site or even just checking out a video about energy.
Talk about energy on social media: Check out Let’s Talk Energy on Twitter for info about Talk Energy Week events, plus the latest news about energy-related science and technology, climate change and energy innovation.
Are you taking part in Talk Energy Week? What aspect of the energy industry are you most interested in learning/talking about? Let us know in the comments.
- Rose R.